Monday, October 15, 2007

Father To Many

Brad Esta
English 1001-111
Lei Lani Michele
Profile
Father to Many
For my student interview I chose to write about Joey Schweitzer, I have known him since my junior year in high school, when he was a religion teacher. He is a happily married man with four children and fifth on the way. Many times when walking around school I have seen him on his cell phone talking to his making sure she was okay, and that everything was alright at home. With all of those children, especially at a young age and another on the way, I use to think that he never had time for anything else except for his job, taking care of his kids, and helping his wife the best he could while she was pregnant. On the contrary, just this past year he had taken another job at my local church.
I have no idea how it does it, but now he had another job besides being a teacher. He took over as the leader of the adults (CORE) of my youth group in my hometown church parish. Even though he also had a teaching job, a wife, and four children at home to attend to it always amazed me how he always had time to talk to the teens in the parish if they were having any trouble and needed someone to talk to. It is a job that I have come to believe fits him perfectly. Whenever someone is talking to him, he always gives you the sense of protection that no matter what is wrong you can always go to him to talk about it. He has shown me that no matter how busy he is he will always be there for the teens to turn to.
Joey is the youth minister at my church parish, Our Lady of Divine Providence, (O.L.D.P). Joey told me that this job consisted of many different parts, "We have to constantly keep up with new events to register for, keep up with the budget, have CORE team meetings, and prepare the information we give to the teens." The CORE team is a group of adults that help the youth leader carry out the massage they hope to get across to the teens. Besides all of this Joey told me that he feels that the most important job is to lead the teens closer to Christ. When asked if he had one message that he would want every teen to know he told me, "I think it is important that every teen know that God loves them and they need Christ." Joey has always been insightful to me, and being a youth minister is something that I have considered being later in my life.
Now with his fifth child on the way he has to do even more, especially around the house to help out his wife. But yet he still has time for the young teens in the parish. He is a person that always seems worried about everyone else, doing his best to make them feel as comfortable as possible. He would always thank me for when I would play with his kids, and always tell me, " I hope they grow up to be as caring and helpful as you." I always thank him for the complement, but I believe that they already have a great role model in their dad.
No matter what time it is he is always willing to help, even if he does have other things he needs to be doing. I believe that he puts the teens before every other aspect of his job. He has been a very important role model in my life, he has showed me no matter what’s going on in my personal life I should always try to help others that need help. He is very giving and expects nothing in return, always willing to help in anyway he can just to make the teens lives a little easier, even if it means taking time out of his day. I wish there could be more people like Joey in the Louisiana community.
Even through all of this he still finds time to play guitar in the church band every once in a while. Thinking of all the things he does I am more impressed everyday. He is also always very cheery person; I can not recall a time that I have seen him angry or upset. He might not be happy with things he sees or hears from teens, but he does not judge them he just does his best to help them out so that they can live a better life.
Joey told me that the damage that Hurricane Katrina did to his was downed fences. Other than that he evacuated all the way up to Ohio, when I asked him why he decided to go so far up he told me that he went up there to reunite with old friends that he went to college with but have moved away. Although the hurricane did not damage his house, Joey told how it was emotionally difficult to be away from home for two months without knowing anything about his house. Now that he is back home, and the hurricane past him, he does his best to help out all those teens that seek his help.

No comments: