Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Holding On


Bobbie Wolfe
English 1001-111
Lei Lani Michel

Holding On
When I was thinking about who I should interview for my English 1001 paper, my initial thought was to talk a lawyer, or someone who works for the state. It would have been easy to ask questions that answer how there job affects the Baton Rouge Community. My grandparents were friends with a couple that owned a law firm, so I already had a particular person in mind. I took a trip to the law office and was waiting to make an appointment. A sweet and smiley woman kindly waited on me. She had a smile that radiated the room with light. It was when I met the receptionist, Deborah R., I knew I had to make her the subject of my paper. Her jolly personality was endearing and I felt that there was a story to be told, so I asked her if she would like to be in an LSU English paper.
I was happy to hear that she would do the interview, and so began our discussion. “When did you begin working with this law firm?” I started. “Not that long ago, actually. I’ve only been here for a few months. I am still pretty new to the job.” Deborah replied. She is a file clerk/receptionist for a plaintiff lawyer at the law office. The office had a cozy atmosphere. What was once an old, abandoned mansion had been transformed into a successful law firm. I came across a jar on Deborah’s desk labeled “Deb’s sorry-ass Jar”. I had to ask “What’s with the jar?” She turned beet red as she laughed and explained,
I have a bad habit of saying I’m sorry too much. My boss made the jar and whenever I say I’m sorry for something he deemed unnecessary , I have to put a quarter in the jar. When it gets full, I take him and his paralegal to lunch.

Deborah was quite a character. Her quirky disposition made her seem a bit out of place in the stereotypical world of suits and briefcases. So I asked, “How did you come across this particular job?” She slowly replied “Well, I used to live in Texas until a family emergency brought me over here.” Deborah moved to Louisiana last year to help take care of her parents, and while doing so, she needed a job. “Since I did not complete my college career, I did not have a degree, and that made it hard to find a decent paying job.” Deborah’s parents knew the couple who owned the law firm and they did her family a favor by offering a job at their firm. “With virtually no marketable skills, I took whatever job I could get,” she said, “I was so blessed to be able to find work, especially with three children that needed to be fed.” She giggled as though she felt awkward about telling me her story. I was glad to learn that she had children and was quick to find out more. “How old are they?” I asked. As she began to answer, she looked up to gather her thoughts, “They are 13, 14, and 15.” I was amazed to find out how close in age they were. “They’re my sweethearts,” she warmly replied with a smile. I could tell that she treasured her children.
I would later find out that Deborah was a single mother. My head was beginning to fill with so many questions, and I was anxious to ask the how’s, when’s, and why’s. I felt kind of guilty prying into this woman’s rather personal life; however, I did have a paper to write, so I began. “How is it raising three teenagers at such a close age?” She let out a perky, high-pitched giggle before answering, “It has its moments, but they are so good.” Deborah’s love for her children was obvious. She enjoyed talking about them. “Kyle is my oldest, and he is my sweetheart. He takes care of my two girls, Jenny and Kaitlyn.” As Deborah talked about her children she had a sparkle in her eye. “They get me through the day.” Before Deborah moved to Louisiana, she was a stay at home mom. “When I first started working, it was so hard to not be there when my kids came home from school.” Deborah found the strength to get through the day in her children. I wondered, “Do you prefer staying at home over having a job?” She confidently replied, “Yes! Very much so. I was a stay at home mom for about twelve years and I enjoyed every minute of it.” Deborah cherished the lives of her children, and I could sense the loneliness as she sat there talking about them. I could only understand how she felt do to the fact that my mother went through the same situation.
After I asked her about the role she felt that she played in the community, Deborah’s answer wasn’t what I expected. “I don’t feel like I make that big of a difference.” Her humble reply took me back for a second. I could only think about the sacrifices she was making while Deborah juggled taking care of her parents and children and working part-time at a law firm. “I don’t consider myself to be some kind of saint for what I do. It comes with the territory,” mentioned jokingly. She made no excuses for herself. Taking it one day at a time, Deborah’s outlook on life was inspiring to me. Here is a middle-aged, single mother of three who was making a life for her children in an unfamiliar territory known as “the office”. I think I can speak for others when I say, “Deborah, you are a great encouragement to the community.” Ending on that note, I left the office with a sense of accomplishment. I will never forget that smiling face. Deborah may not be a tycoon; but she can rest assure that the community and her office would not be the same were it not for her cheery and loving disposition.

No comments: