Monday, October 15, 2007

Physician's Assistant




I had a chance to sit down with Cassie James, who is currently awaiting acceptance to become a physician’s assistant, and ask her a few questions about her chosen occupation. Cassie is a twenty two year old fifth year senior at LSU. Cassie took time out of her day to allow me to do my student interview. I began by asking her, “What made you choose to become a physician’s assistant?” Cassie informed me that, “physician’s assistants have very similar responsibilities as well as similar privileges as certified physicians. P.a.’s have the power to write prescriptions within their particular field of practice as well as in all fifty states.” Cassie also informed me that, “unlike doctors, if a p.a. is interesting in changing their particular practice of medicine they simply must shadow a doctor in that field; a doctor on the other hand must go back to school and train in that significant field.” Cassie educated me that physician’s assistants also require a lot less amount of schooling, thus saving her time and money. Cassie settles back into her chair and releases a sigh of satisfaction in her knowledge of that she won’t have to attend anymore schooling.

Cassie briefed me on the context of the numerous personal benefits of being a physician’s assistant. A comforting fact about becoming a physician’s assistant is that you have to practice under the supervision of a licensed doctor; meaning that you can easily switch from any practice to any other practice. “Even though I have to practice under a licensed doctor, he/she is not required to be there in person.” I also found out that there are numerous possibilities for a physician’s assistant; the military offers jobs for p.a.’s as well as going into private practice. Cassie said that the work environment for a p.a. is normally that of licensed doctors. “Having a good work environment is crucial for me.” “I know a lot of people that are very disappointed with their work environments and it seems to be a very big distraction for them.”

“So what would you say is the most satisfying thing about your profession?” Cassie responded with a smile spanning from ear to ear, “I love helping people in the LSU community. It is just a satisfying feeling knowing that I am making a difference.” Because college students often change their majors throughout their college life, I asked Cassie if she has always wanted to be a p.a. “When I started here at LSU my major was Pre-Med but as I progressed in my studies I found out that my interests as well as time were better devoted to becoming a physician’s assistant. From there on my passion has been to become a physician’s assistant.” Wondering what kind of carrier plans she has planned for herself in the future, I ask, “Where do you hope to be in five years?” After a moment of pondering, she simply replies, “doing what I love, helping people”. “I hope to be working in correlation with a licensed doctor in Shreveport.”

By now I have fully realized that Cassie, being a p.a. in Baton Rouge, is a very positive impact on the Baton Rouge community. I can best describe Cassie James as a well educated, properly trained individual that dedicates hours of her time a week (of unpaid labor) for the sole purpose of influencing the people of Baton Rouge in the medical field. Cassie has been part of the Baton Rouge community for nearly five years and is closing her legacy on the LSU community. She will be going back “home” to Shreveport, Louisiana in hopes of attending LSUS’s p.a. program. Cassie will soon be remembering merely a glimpse of Louisiana as she goes on to greatly impact the Shreveport community. With her overly sufficient knowledge of the medical field, I feel certain that this one day soon physician’s assistant will be a profitable, benign part of Louisiana’s medical community.

-p.g.

No comments: